When we decided to put Fox and Jane in the same room the first step was to do some rearranging of the current configuration. This meant taking down all of the frames on the East wall. (I don't actually know if it's the East wall, but there's a 25% chance I'm right!)
Hidden behind the bottom left frames were three cracks all leading to a central point. Upon pressing the wall at this location, the wall felt like a sponge! It was giving and taking and I don't think walls are supposed to do that... So I called in Chris and with his superhuman strength he accidentally pressed a little too hard and the wall caved in a little bit... Our bad...
So I emailed the landlord and told her the situation and over the period of a week or so different people came in and out of our apartment inspecting the damage of not only the hole, but our entire apartment. They were rolling marbles across the floor and noting that they rolled from one side of the room to the other, pointing out all the cracks and holes from nailing in frames, etc... I prayed they wouldn't try and fix all of this stuff now cuz we'll be out of here in a year and all these updates would take a long time. Oh, and one of the guys turned the 3" hole into a 13" hole!
There were a couple of different conclusions: water damage, or the apartment compressing over time, or a bad patch job done previously. Whatever the case, they planned to fix the hole. A few weeks passed and the day finally came. I moved Jane's crib out of the way, unscrewed the wardrobe from the wall and nudged it over, took down all the decorations I had put up, and then they came in and turned our apartment into a war zone.
Yeah you better cover that dresser! :)
They kept making the hole bigger and bigger! Stop the madness!
I thought I had taken pics of every step, but I guess not. From here they put in a new piece of sheetrock, filled in the cracks with something or another, and then said we had to wait 24 hours for it to set and dry. That meant no nap for Fox in his crib and he'd have to sleep in his pack-n-play. I think they should have put us up in a hotel :) Needless to say, it was a long day and night. Plus when my home is a wreck, I'm a wreck. Poor Chris had to deal with a grumpy Paige for a long 36 hours :( The next morning they painted over the area with primer, let it dry for two hours, and then did a final coat of the original paint color, and let it dry for two hours. Good as new!
It's a clean slate just waiting for me to make new holes for hanging knick knacks!