We left Saturday morning. It was a beautiful day. Rolling hills and cute German towns as far as the eye can see.
We stepped inside the perfume store that occupies the ground floor and peeked into the luscious building.
Next to the Hertie is the Church of Our Lady, a 15th-century late-Gothic church built near the hospital and poorhouse outside the city walls.
At the other end of Obermarkt is the Church of the Trinity. The tower is unusually thin and doesn't keep very good time thanks to one in a series of Cloth-Maker Rebellions: in the Middle Ages, Görlitz was run by the powerful guilds of the cloth trade and the brewers, who neglected the rights of their workers and forbade nonmembers from practicing their trades. Finally, in the early 16th century, the workers rose up against the corrupt city council, which allowed the guilds to continue their unfair practices. The rebels ended their meetings punctually at midnight to avoid the night watchmen who would be on the other side of town at that hour. But the city council was one step ahead - they ordered the church bell to chime seven minutes before midnight to fool the conspirators out onto the street and into the waiting arms of the guard. Fourteen of the conspirators were executed and 25 more banished from the city. The bell still chimes seven minutes early.
In 1245 Franciscan monks consecrated this church. Although originally a Romanesque structure, renovations in 1380 gave the church its current late-Gothic appearance. When the Reformation took hold in Silesia in 1563, the monks surrendered the keys to the church and monastery - with the condition that the monastery be used as a school. A school operates in the former monastery to this day.
The interior seems austere but reveals delightful little details.
Horse-drawn carriage just waiting to carry people around town.
We backtracked just a bit down Peterstrasse.
These buildings had painted details on them. So interesting!
We crossed the pedestrian only bridge.