The One with Bye, Bye Birdie and a Reception

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sometimes things don't always turn out as you plan or would like them to. For instance, today I was gonna wake up early, do a quick cleaning of animal cages, run to the bank, get dressed in my Sunday best and go to Sara Jane's wedding at the Salt Lake temple, hang out in Salt Lake all day, then mosey on over to the reception at 7pm.

I made it to 3/4 of the way through cleaning the animal cages.

Around 9:30am, I opened up the screen door onto the deck to go get my bunny Chandler and put him back in his newly cleaned cage. Before I had even grabbed him, Jadis, my bird, flew out onto the railing of the deck. I didn't panic because he has been out on the deck a million times before and always stays put. I pushed the lounge chair a few inches over in order to gain closer access to Chandler when Jadis flew right by me, frightened by the large moving object. I figured he had just flown back into the apartment, but when I went back inside, he was nowhere to be found. Last time I thought I had lost him he was fast asleep in our closet. But I knew that's not where he was now. I called outside and heard him chirp from what sounded like the roof. I scrambled to find chairs and benches I could stack that would make me tall enough to see onto the roof. A few minutes later I was peering up onto the roof and there was no bird in sight. Chris was at the laundry mat so I tried calling him to come help me in my search, but he left his phone at home (shame on you'nin!) I ran outside and started calling his name. I heard a chirp from far away and immediately ran towards his voice. After several minutes of me screaming and him screeching, I located him about 3 houses down and 60 feet, up perched on the twig of a tree.

We tried everything we could think of to get him down. We bribed him with food. My parents brought over a ladder which we used to climb on the neighbor's roof, but we were still about 30 feet away from him. We chucked water bottles up towards him to try and get him to move. But he didn't budge. We threw pillows up into the branches and all three pillows got stuck. We even called the fire department and asked how much it would cost to send a truck out to help us but we were rejected. They don't get birds out of trees. Meanwhile, my parents were long gone, headed up to the wedding in Salt Lake. I was crushed and the waterworks came. Why oh why wasn't Jadis coming down?

Chris had the brilliant idea to tape poles and branches and broomsticks together. As he was fashioning his custom tool, it started pouring rain. Jadis must not have liked it because he flew down to a lower branch and eventually flew right onto my shoulder. Why he couldn't have just done that in the first place, two hours earlier, I will never know. I ran him back inside and called my mom to see if we could make it to the temple in time. She said we should try so we ran around and made ourselves presentable in no time flat. But then my mom called back and said traffic was at a standstill and they weren't even sure if they'd make it. Off came the Sunday best and on came the scrubs.

We spent the rest of the afternoon packing. But every cloud has a silver lining: we got Cafe Rio for lunch :)

Around 4pm we went up to Salt Lake for the last time as residents of Utah. My cousin-once-removed was watching Cars and was looking oh-so-cute in her little flower girl dress. Must take picture.
The reception was at the most magnificent house I've ever seen in my life with the most incredible views of the Salt Lake Valley.
At one end of the balcony there was a gallery of portraits of all the married girls in Grandma's wedding dress.
Here's Grandma Doris.Here's me. And here's the newest bride of the family.
The wedding cake looked beautiful. I didn't get to try it, we ditched a little early to get back to Provo, but I bet it tasted as good as it looked.Taint a bad view for a back yard!
Mr. and Mrs. Tyler Baldwin. I told them to have a fun night :)
My malm and Eric eating their dinner and enjoying the last warm rays of the sun. It turned into a chilly evening!
The whole evening was so beautiful. A bride's dream come true.
I wish Sara Jayne and Tyler all the best, congrats, and happy eternity!


  1. Good luck to you guys in California! I'm so jealous and miss sunny Cali!...even if the state is bankrupt and falling apart, it will still always be home and we wish we could move back. Hope all goes well with the move and that you will like it there. Take Care!

  2. Thats so cool you got married in your grandmothers dress. I'm also glad to hear the birdie came back. I was afraid it was going to be a sad ending.


  4. wow, that last picture is amazing! that place is gorgeous! I love your grandma's dress too!

  5. I'll have to admit that I didn't have much hope that you'd ever hold Jadis again. My heart was absolutely broken for you. But the day turned out to be wonderful. Next up. . . MAREN!


Paige Taylor Evans © // Quinn Creatives DESIGN